Friday, November 6

Monsoon Wedding




Monsoon Wedding is a story about an Indian family as they prepare for a wedding. Unlike many other Bollywood movies, this film was especially made for the Western audience because the length of time was shorter than average videos. Typical in Indian weddings, the celebrations last for many days and involve lots of family members and traditions. While Aditi prepares herself for an arranged marriage, she has to choose between her current tumultuous and shady love affair and the potential for true love with her fiancĂ©e, Hemant. Meanwhile, the parents grieve the loss of their daughter as they ‘lose her to marriage’ and the father becomes obsessed planning an extravagant wedding event. The sometimes absent-minded wedding planner, known as P.K., is hypnotized by Alice, the house servant, but the two are reserved with their instant passion for each other. Parallel to these love issues, there are also family secrets and frustrations that arise which can harm the very interdependent family and ruin the wedding events. The future for this family is unknown, but their path is full with love and support for each other (possibly some marigolds as well).




This has been a movie in which I really enjoyed. I am not sure if it is because I have not so much enjoyed the last bunch of movies or if I understand Indian cultures well. It was beautifully made with all the colors in their decorations, surroundings and even wardrobe. I loved the dancing and the aspects of the culture that were so blatantly present. Plus, weddings in general are already very exciting. I guess it was guaranteed that I was going to like this one. The only thing that I would change would be the amount of flowers PK ate!? I am not used to that!




No comments: